Thank you for visiting my website.
I am a Palestinian human rights specialist, working on human rights in the Middle East and North Africa. I am based in London.I work in both English and Arabic.
- Research and policy analyses, with specific focus on international human rights law, and engagement with international and regional mechanisms
- NGO and project evaluation, needs assessment, and strategy development
- Teaching, training and lecturing in the field of human rights law and international human rights mechanisms.
- Special human rights areas of interest: women's rights (including the WPS Agenda); children's rights; the death penalty; prevention of torture and ill-treatment; economic and social rights; the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
My most recent news:
- Finalising drafting a Resource Manual on the 2030 Development Agenda on sustainable development, to be published by ANND,
- Carried out a training for community based activists in East Jerusalem/ Palestine on human rights approach to advocacy on economic, social and cultural rights. The training was initiated and facilitated by Amnesty International - Netherlands, in cooperation with PAX.
- Participated in the regional consultation on Strengthening Treaty Body System, organised by Columbia University, Geneva Academy and OHCHR.
- Teaching for the second year a distance learning
course on “Engagement in Human Rights”, as part of an M.A degree in
Governance and Human Rights, Leuphana Professional School, Luneburg
- Joined the Council of the Human Rights Institute of the International Bar Association
- Joined the Board of Trustees of Lawyers for Justice in Libya.
Please contact me for more information:
"Mervat Rishmawi worked with the Arab Regional Office of the Open Society Foundations for approximately five years, initially as a consultant and then as Senior Policy Analyst. Her main focus was to strengthen the engagement of civil society with the League of Arab States. Mervat demonstrated mastery and in depth understanding of the human rights concerns and needs of the MENA region and intimate knowledge and network of organizations working on socio-economic and political developments across the MENA region. She is the go-to expert on the League of Arab States and its human rights standards and mechanisms. We benefitted greatly from Mervat’s experience and networks in the development of our strategy in the Arab Region, particularly in relation to the League of Arab States – a project she conceptualized and spearheaded in its formative stages."
(Open Society Foundations, Arab Regional Office)
“Mervat has a unique knowledge of the legal and socio-political dynamics in the Middle East. Her legal and on-the-ground experiences with Palestinian, Arab and International NGOs working on the Middle East qualifies her to be one of the unique international experts on both civil and political as well as economic, social and cultural rights pertaining to this region.”
(Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies, Egypt)