Thank you for visiting my website.
I am a London-based Palestinian human rights specialist, working on human rights in the Middle East and North Africa. I work in both English and Arabic.
- Human rights research and analyses
- Evaluation, needs assessment, and strategy development
- Training and lecturing.
My most recent news:
- Finalising Resource Manual on the 2030 Development Agenda, to be published by ANND,
- Joined the Board of Trustees of Lawyers for Justice in Libya.
- Started teaching the second year of the distance learning
course on “Engagement in Human Rights”, as part of an M.A degree in
Governance and Human Rights, Leuphana Professional School, Luneburg
- Joined the Council of the Human Rights Institute of the International Bar Association
My most recent publications:
- "The League of Arab States: Human Rights Standards and Mechanisms - Toward further civil society engagement: a manual for practitioners," published by the Open Society Foundations, and the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies please click here - "Role of Parliamentarians in the implementation of Security Council Resolution 1325 and Subsequent Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security", ESCWA, please click here - Chapter 3: "The League of Arab States and the protection of migrants" in "Migration in the Mediterranean: Mechanisms of International Cooperation", please click here - "Can the Arab League be Civil Society’s Partner for Human Rights?", published by the Open Society Foundations, please click here
Please contact me for more information:
"Mervat Rishmawi worked with the Arab Regional Office of the Open Society Foundations for approximately five years, initially as a consultant and then as Senior Policy Analyst. Her main focus was to strengthen the engagement of civil society with the League of Arab States. Mervat demonstrated mastery and in depth understanding of the human rights concerns and needs of the MENA region and intimate knowledge and network of organizations working on socio-economic and political developments across the MENA region. She is the go-to expert on the League of Arab States and its human rights standards and mechanisms. We benefitted greatly from Mervat’s experience and networks in the development of our strategy in the Arab Region, particularly in relation to the League of Arab States – a project she conceptualized and spearheaded in its formative stages."
(Open Society Foundations, Arab Regional Office)
“Mervat has a unique knowledge of the legal and socio-political dynamics in the Middle East. Her legal and on-the-ground experiences with Palestinian, Arab and International NGOs working on the Middle East qualifies her to be one of the unique international experts on both civil and political as well as economic, social and cultural rights pertaining to this region.”
(Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies, Egypt)