Thank you for visiting my website.
I am a London-based Palestinian human rights specialist, working on human rights in the Middle East and North Africa. I work in both English and Arabic.
- Human rights research and analyses
- Evaluation, needs assessment, and strategy development
- Training and lecturing.
My most recent work:
- Joined the Council of the Human Rights Institute of the International Bar Association
- "Role of Parliamentarians in the implementation of Security Council Resolution 1325 and Subsequent Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security", to be published by ESCWA
- Chapter 3: "The League of Arab States and the protection of migrants" in "Migration in the Mediterranean: Mechanisms of International Cooperation", please click here
- "Can the Arab League Be Civil Society’s Partner for Human Rights?", published by the Open Society Foundations, please click here
"The League of Arab States: Human Rights Standards and Mechanisms - Toward further civil society engagement: a manual for practitioners," published by the Open Society Foundations, please click here
- Study as Senior Researcher and Expert, on
alternative methods of detention and punishment for children in MENA for UNICEF-IDLO
- "Rabat Plan of Action: between international direction and the direction of the League of Arab States", published by the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies in Riwaq Arabi (Arabic only)
- Sustainability of Human Rights Organisations in the MENA Region (project sponsored by Open Society Foundations, Oxfam, and Ford Foundation), outcome report published by Oxfam in both Arabic and English.
- Chapter 8: "The League of Arab States and the Arab Revolts, in Human Rights, Human Security, and State Security.
Please contact me for more information:
For articles and analyses on the Middle East and North Africa, please click here to follow my tweet
“Mervat has a unique knowledge of the legal and socio-political dynamics in the Middle East. Her legal and on-the-ground experiences with Palestinian, Arab and International NGOs working on the Middle East qualifies her to be one of the unique international experts on both civil and political as well as economic, social and cultural rights pertaining to this region.”